Chao Praya river view from the top of Wat Arun.
Novices ordination, can be seen only on summer vacation.
While leaving for the pier to head to next temple and Kaosarn Rd.
Activity for relaxing at the Fabulous bar and dessert cafe, Kaosarn Rd.
It was only a few days to Songkran festival (Splashing water week). It'd be absolutely tons of people on the street and everyone gets wet. Before that festival comes, one thing that Buddhism must do is... go to the temple, make merit or have meditation for lucks and successes. Like throwing away bad things with saying goodbye old year and saying Hi or smiling with new year with new bright good things. We've been holding these believes for long time 'cause Songkran day is regarded to Thai New Year which is always happened officially on April 13th-15th in every year. Me and friend decided to go suddenly after talking about photograph and temple areas. 'Cause we're still on the vacation and still got no job. Besides, we didn't wanna squeeze tons of people on that period.
There's a temple trip provided by TAT. (Tourism Authority of Thailand), visit 9 temples along Chao Praya river.
Map of visiting 9 temples along Chao Praya river.
That day we went 5 temples: Wat Rakhang or Rakhanggkositaram, Wat Arun or Arunratchawararam (The temple of Dawn), Wat Chanasongkram, Wat Pho or Wat Prachetuponwimonmangklaram Ratchaworamahawiharn and Wat Kanlayanamit.
The motto of each temple.
- Wat Rakhang or Rakhangkositaram: To be admired and beloved by the sound of big ring (called Rakhang in Thai)
- Wat Arun or Arunratchawararam (The temple of Dawn): To have a prosperous life by the name of the temple, Arun or Jang all mean bright or prosperous.
- Wat Chanasongkram: To conquer all obstacles by the name and history of this temple, Chanasongkram means conquered all the wars.
- Wat Pho or Wat Prachetuponwimonmangklaram Ratchaworamahawiharn: Calmness is happiness 'cause Pho means Bodhi Tree, the tree under which Siddhartha Gautama, the spiritual teacher and founder of Buddhism later known as Gautama Buddha, is said to have achieved enlightenment. In religious iconography, the Bodhi tree is recognizable by its heart-shaped leaves, which are usually prominently displayed.
- Wat Kanlayanamit: Bon voyage and to meet good friends. 'Cause Kanlayanamit means true or best friends.
That's a pity! We visited only 5 places 'cause we left home quite late and we went to our university to get the transcript first. Will visit the rest if we have chance. ;)